Friday, July 30, 2010

Oh the Life & Times of a Dog Owner

I swear, sometimes I could make an entire blog dedicated to the crazy things my dog does. Every day is a new adventure with my furry friend, and just when I think to myself, "Hey, I've got this", he proves me wrong. We've been through so much together in these 10 short months, from falling off docks, to jumping out of moving boats, to keeping us up all night that we have actually resorted to sleeping in the car (that's a whole other story that I will have to explain at another time)... but last night was a first, and hopefully a last...

It all started when I was taking a shower late last night around 10 p.m.; I always shower at night due to the fact that I am so not a morning person. So as usual, Samson was sleeping on the sofa, and I crept away to get my shower. When I got out of the shower, I heard this loud squealing noise, that is like nothing I have ever heard before. At first I thought it was coming from outside, so I just continued drying off and then I heard Samson cry a little (which is normal when I shut him out of the bathroom). So I calmed down a little.. the noise I heard before must of just been Samson. I opened the door, peeked through to let him in, and looked through the dark shadows to see Samson laying on the floor calm as ever, and only a foot away from him was some sort of creature curled up in a ball not moving. The first thing that popped in my head was, "OH MY GOSH SAMSON KILLED A RAT!! A RAT IS IN MY HOUSE AHHHH!!!"
So in my towel, heart racing, I went over and turned the lights on, and THANK GOD it was not a rat, but then what was it?! Finally after looking at it for a while, Wesley and I decided it was a baby squirrel, and our detective skills told us that the baby squirrel had gotten hurt and Samson brought him in through the dog door. Being that it was 10:45 p.m. by now, the only thing we thought we could do was put the squirrel back outside, but this time away from our fence and away from Samson's reach...
Then it happened.... this morning I left for work, just like any other morning, and Wesley got in the shower. But this time, when he got out the baby squirrel was back in our kitchen sqealing, curled up on the floor next to Samson!! It's so sad, I think it got blown out of a tree during the severe thunderstorm we had last night.... I think I might be nursing this little guy back to health this weekend... any squirrel experts out there- your advice is needed!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! That is so sad!! Poor little guy... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my cutest thing ever! BUT my aunt and uncle found a baby squirrel and nursed it back to health and kept it as a pet! I'll ask them what they did and get back to you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a sweet message! I love hearing from you!!