Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Back to Basics: Our Living Room

Since we moved into our house 4 1/2 years ago, I've slowly collected pieces for our living room that felt layered and warm to me. But recently, enter a new baby and all of the baby stuff that inevitably comes along, I've been craving something more calm and neutral.


Lucky for us, my mom recently did an inventory of all of her oriental rugs she's not going to use anymore and let me have my pick. We already have been using her pink and navy Indian oriental, but I decided to switch it out for this more neutral one.


This also was an opportunity to try a new furniture arrangement. I'm not 100% thrilled with this layout. Not even close. But the extra foot room it gives us is key right now in our tiny little house for 3 + a dog. 

don't mind the laundry and mess...just keepin' it real.


We also decided to move the coffee table out for now to give us extra space, but we're keeping it for future use. 

Since I took these pictures, I've already replaced the blue damask pillows with the original neutral pillows that came with the sofa. Next I want to focus on some sort of artwork over the sofa and around the television. 



It doesn't feel anywhere close to how I want it, but it feels good to strip this room back to the basics and start fresh. 

Here are some examples of the feel I'm going for...I wish I could paint over the yellow walls, but I don't think that's in the cards right now..

Neutral living room... great mix of pattern, wood and metals.


Neutral living room


Birch + Bird Vintage Home Interiors » Blog Archive » The Domino Effect: Greenwich Glamour

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are back!! I love your taste and baby Harrison is the CUTEST!!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is the new rug from? I'm also redoing our family/common room in neutrals and blues and I just love the new rug you got

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a sweet message! I love hearing from you!!