Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pinterest Tutorial - Tub Cleaner

Okay, so I'm about to share something pretty gross with you, but in an effort to have you not judge me so harshly, I will preface it with this...

Our house is old. Like really old. Like 70+ years old. And like most old things, when they have been neglected for a very long time, they can look pretty gross, and need a little TLC to give them new life again. 

So when we bought our house in 2009, one of the places that needed the most work was our bathroom. First, we scrubbed, mopped, bleached, and all that, to get it clean, before we started painting, and changing out fixtures to update it. And it all helped tremendously. It still has a long way to go, but it made it livable for a while at least. 

Well one area that I have never shared with you before is the bathtub. When we bought the house, my first thought was, well that bathtub is just plain dirty, but nothing a little bleach and various bathroom cleaning products couldn't fix. But then for years I have tried everything, and nothing and I mean NOTHING worked. It still always looked just straight up dirty. Here recently and I have been throwing ideas out to W about a halfway bathroom reno, that included a new tub and tile floor. He was more than resistant, but I thought, maybe eventually I could wear him down:)

So this is where pinterest, came in and saved the day. I was doing my normal pinterest-ing and came across this article with a DIY cleaning solution that supposedly worked miracles. The picture in the article literally was a spitting image of my bathtub, so I thought what the heck, I'd give it a try. And to my amazement, for the first time in 4 years, our bathtub looks white again. 

Here is the before and after shots (brace yourself)

So given this information, I thought it would be cruel not to share it with you. Here is what you need. 

1/4 cup white vinegar 
1/4 cup of Blue Dawn dish Soap

-Heat 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the microwave for 90 seconds 
-then add 1/4 cup of blue Dawn dish soap
- mix together and pour over tub
-let sit for 2 hours and then wipe clean with a sponge
-rinse with water

**The original article said they didn't have to do any scrubbing, and that was just not true for me. I definitely had to put some elbow grease into it, but most of the soap scum did come off rather easily.

For me, this is the first cleaning solution that has removed ANY of the soap scum off of this trusty old bathtub. It will definitely be a staple around our house for years to come! 

Have you ever tested any Pinterest DIY?? I'd love to hear and whether they worked or not!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a sweet message! I love hearing from you!!